Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Homemade Laundry Detergent

had a VERY busy day today! I went grocery shopping, made homemade laundry detergent, and made my first homemade pound cake (more on that in a later post). I'm rather proud of myself! ☺️

I found the laundry detergent recipe on Pinterest, but adjusted it just a tad. I'm rather particular about my clothes-I want them to smell good, but more importantly, I want them clean! I've been playing around with various detergents and finally decided to just make something myself. 

These are the ingredients I used: 1 (4 lb) box of baking soda, 1 (4 lb) box of borax, 1 (3 lb) box of washing soda, 1 (3 lb) box of Oxy Clean, 1 (48 oz) container of Purex crystals (whichever scent you prefer- I personally love "Fresh Spring Waters), and 1 (14.4 oz) bar Zote soap. Shred the Zote soap with a cheese grater (the soap is super soft, making it easy to shred). Mix all the ingredients in a large bucket, such as the one pictured here. 
I tried to be dainty and lady like and use a large spoon to mix it, but my patience didn't hold up real well. I used my hands instead and mixed, and mixed, and mixed, and, well, you get the picture. 

It smells amazing!! I haven't been able to use it yet (can you believe in actually anxious to get a load of laundry done?), but as soon as I get a few loads going, I'll put a review post. Here's a close up so you can see how pretty it is. I wish you could smell it!! 
I even put some in small containers for my MIL and sister to try. 

If you decide to make it, let me know how it turns out!!

Much love,
Krystan, the experimental housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment